Sunday 31 July 2016

Mum's 80th Birthday Painting - 'Life at 80' - July 2016

My lovely mother has recently celebrated her 80th birthday.  Although she likes traditional art, Mum's natural leaning is towards abstract art and so I decided to create a painting for her birthday.  My wife and I took the painting on a train, ferry and then three more trains before arriving at Mum's home on the mainland.  It was a hot day, but luckily the painting arrived in perfect condition and Mum was very happy with her birthday surprise!


As you go through the pictures below you will see it is a mixed media piece with an acrylic textured ground, with oil paint squares and circles, scrim and gold leaf.  The size of the canvas is 36 x 28 inches.  I chose a gold distressed frame to complement the painting. I hope you enjoy looking at the process of making the painting which now hangs proudly on the wall in my mother's home. The photo's start from the beginning with colour studies and sketches...all the way through to a photo of the painting in situ.



















Life at 80 - Mixed Media Painting by Lee Papworth 2016 -  artwork & photographs copyright of the artist

If you would like to join any of my art classes please check out my last blog post with the dates and venues. 

Happy Painting!

Best wishes

Lee x

No comments:

Post a Comment