Sunday 26 June 2016

My Latest En Plein Air Paintings

Original oil painting - copyright Lee Papworth 2015

These are my latest en plein air paintings.  The first one was painted at Smuggler's Haven near Ventnor in July last year.   It was a sunny day. My wife and I took a picnic along with us and both set up our easels to paint in a secluded spot.  We spent a great afternoon painting and enjoying the atmosphere. A few curious ramblers passed by and struck up conversation.  You often find that people will stop and ask you about your painting, but that's ok and it's a pleasure to talk about art to anyone. 


The next painting was painted on a sunny April morning on the revetment between Sandown and Shanklin. It took about an hour and twenty minutes.  Dog walkers stopped to chat and their dogs sniffed the oil paints with curiosity.  


The last painting was painted on a gloriously hot May morning looking down Lake Slipway towards Shanklin.  I sat on the bench at the top of the slipway with my bottle of water and easel.  It was a blazing sunny day and I wished I had taken a hat (note to all en plein air painters - please remember a hat!) One interested passerby said hello as I sat down to paint and two hours later he said hello again... I realised I had been in the sunshine for over two hours!


I used oils for all three paintings.  I did not make any adjustments to the paintings afterwards as this takes the spontaneity and life away from en plein air artworks.  I used a painting knife for all three paintings.  This saves the difficulty of cleaning brushes outside or carrying them back home.  I love the immediateness of en plein air painting and I am looking forward to painting on the (hopefully) warm summer days ahead!  If you see me out there please stop and say hello.


Original oil painting - copyright Lee Papworth 2015
Detail of original oil painting showing the red ground - copyright Lee Papworth 2015
Original oil painting - copyright Lee Papworth 2016
Detail of original oil painting - copyright Lee Papworth 2016
Original oil painting - copyright Lee Papworth 2016
Detail of original oil painting - copyright Lee Papworth 2016
If you would like to join one of my art classes please use the contact form on this blog.  

My next blog post will give the details of upcoming courses.

Happy Painting!

Best wishes

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment